Wednesday, August 31, 2005

That's not My Kenny

Reading CounterStatement
by the light of the laptop
by the glow of the Chemistry building
was not particularly Enlightening

Who is this man
who can yet speak of essences?
Who presents even criticism
without a hint of what's to come?

Tell me, Kenny,
please pun on the word "novel"
or tell me that the arguments
share the same lava flow.

This presentation belies you;
your certainty me fait peur,
and only your assumptions of my readership
let me know it's you

Inside the text
peeking out to reframe the white margins
There you are, on page 16, defining simple words
I thought I knew: Pure and art

And PreRaphaelite dreams
"Art was 'justified' because art
was an appetite--in being desired,
it found its reason for existence."

And, "inevitably" this all ends up
in the Church and Sex
"A people more direct in its religion
would divide and subdivide its divinities"

The immutable is important because
it adds to our lexicon of Flux
Countering, changing, adding, synthesis,
antithesis; it's the Other that show us Us

What is aesthetic?
I know what it is, but does he?
there's spirit and material
l'art pour l'art--sublime beauty or something

Lots of Ofs to link two words
Rhetoric of Motives, Aesthetic of Symbolism
the Name of Decadence.
The futility of the human race as a Whole.

If anything, our art should be like water
the arguments sliding over each other sensually
replacing each other like one ice skate
after the other to trace a figure 8.

An author ...must preform his transgressions
on paper (two divergent legs molten at the core
must cross and be relieved of control
or we all fall down)

No comments: