Friday, April 27, 2007

In the Lab

I've been sitting here since before 9 a.m. It's now 1:19, and I've been typing almost constantly. At least I'm not alone.
To my left sits Tony and some Literature Masters Student whose name I never remember. She's been here since 10, and now has a giant block of text that rivals my own Giant Block of Text of Doom.
Of Doom.
Jaci sits on my right, also furiously typing, despite the fact that she has four days instead of four hours to finish her project. Her book pile keeps growing as she runs to the Library. Right now she's working on a block quote that will doubtlessly help her reach the page minumum.
The Nerdy Trio of Jeremy Tirrell, Ryan Weber, and Nathaniel Rivers (accompanied by their fourth, Paul Lynch) have arrived and have taken over the left side of the lab with their masculine presence and PoMo jokes about Aristotle's enthymeme which are funny to perhaps 100 people in the entire nation. I'm one of them.
Tony's got a Works Cited List that looks longer than my list for my prelims.
And I'm on page seven, a little more than 2/3 through my paper due at 5. It's 1:27, and I'm hoping to finish before 4:30, hop on the bus, cook dinner, and enjoy 3 hours of SciFi Friday in peace.
Before doing it all again tomorrow with Morgan. In this same lab.
Damn.

2 comments:

Laura said...

You can do this. You've done it before. Remember the night when the Shakespeare paper was due and the electricity went out? This is nothing like that. Speaking of Shakespeare I'm going to take it again here. Yay for free class- I'll be an English major yet.

Kari said...

What was the PoMo joke about Aristotle's enthymeme? I want to see if it's funny to me (and if it can be so without consulting Holman and Harmon).

And yes, speaking of the night the Shakespeare paper was due and the electricity went out (and I contemplating carrying my archaic, huge and heavy computer to Riley Court to finish the paper), remember when the Riley Court boys (my other motivation for carrying my computer over there) walked in all hot and unconcerned, having not finished their papers because everyone else didn't have power? Only they could have gotten away with that.