Tuesday, September 23, 2008

The Structure of Hope: Rhetoric and Dystopian Fiction

After much discussion about my life and plans, Professor Goodhart and I have somewhat finalized my dissertation. Here it is:

I. Introduction: Why dystopian fiction? Cataloguing use in high schools,

current studies and what they're missing.

II. The "Topic" tradition--Dystopia, Utopia, and classical rhetoric. Deliberative rhetoric through Pamela.

III. Genre as social action: Dystopia as diff from Utopia--against Rabkin and Jameson, vis a vis pomo, connections to the history of the novel

IV. Burke’s Lexicon Rhetoricae and dystopian fiction (in all media)--fulfillment of desire, desire for the end, the “last man on earth” syndrome. BSG, the apocalyptic tradition, Terminator, Zombie Movies

V. "Postmodern" dystopias--LeGuin, Oryx and Crake, cyberpunk. What is ethical response?

Yes, is beautiful.

2 comments:

Lacking said...

I started O and C today! Glad to see it here.

Michael Joseph Sharp said...

Wow. I am very interesting in reading this dissertation. What program/discipline are you studying?

I am in a doctoral program (Urban Educational Leadership) and should be starting the writing process soon.

Comps first this quarter.

Good luck. Cool topic.